The rate of infertility continues to increase in Canada, and around the world, despite limited data for Canadian couples specifically. It is believed that as many as 1 in 6 couples worldwide experience difficulty trying to get pregnant, and what was once seen as a women’s problem only, is now known to affect men in equal measures.
Infertility can be a frustrating and heartbreaking issue to deal with, so we hope that the resources in this blog will help ease the frustration and give you the tools and wisdom to develop a clear path towards pregnancy.
What is Infertility?
- Primary Infertility is defined as not being able to get pregnant despite having frequent, unprotected sex for at least one year.
- Secondary Infertility is defined as the inability to become pregnant or carry a pregnancy to full term following the birth of one or more children.
What causes Infertility?
There can be many different causes of infertility – including autoimmune disorders, poor nutrition, emotional stress, STDs, thyroid disorders, eating disorders, obesity, hormonal problems, and more.
Many people believe that with growing levels of pollution, environmental toxins are also to blame.
How do you treat infertility naturally?
The natural approach to treating infertility begins with solving the root cause of infertility, by addressing all of the bodies systems, rather than focusing on the reproductive system alone.
To get started on your holistic path to pregnancy, we recommend:
- Seeing a naturopathic doctor + acupuncturist: This is the MOST important step. To treat your infertility problem naturally, the key is finding out what the root cause is. Then you can map out a treatment plan that works for you. Get ALL of the tests you can. What are your diagnoses? This will guide and be the foundation of the rest of your treatment plan.
- Consider your other dietary and health issues: All of your personal health issues need to be addressed when creating your perfect fertility plan. Do you have any allergies or intolerances that you have been ignoring? Are you treating your body badly in general?
- Start a fertility journal or make a mega-list: start tracking and writing down all of the specific recommendations for YOUR particular situation. What foods are recommended for your case? What supplements? Keeping track of this will help you feel empowered and in control of your treatment.
- Research endlessly. You need to become the #1 advocate and expert for your own health. Get to know, deeply, what the root cause of your infertility is and all the best methods of healing. Go into your fertility journey with full confidence that you know what’s best.
- Commit to making a change. Once you have worked with your naturopath or acupuncture and gotten a diagnosis + recommendations for treatment – commit to a solid lifestyle change of 3-4 months with NO cheating.
- Always listen to your body. You know it best. Your new diet and treatment plan should feel good and have you feeling healthier than ever.
- Know that you aren’t alone in this. Your naturopath, acupuncturist or holistic doctor are always there to help guide you and provide solid recommendations, treatment options, and diet plans for your fertility journey.
No matter your diagnosis, there are several actionable lifestyle changes you can make to give yourself the best shot at becoming pregnant and being the healthiest you possible. These changes include:
- Minimizing your exposure to environmental toxins
- Stopping all consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and coffee
- No more drinking unfiltered tap water
- Taking a quality prenatal vitamin
- Avoiding top 8 allergens: milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
- Developing your herbal arsenal and getting to know what herbs are beneficial for increasing fertility and conception
- Eating an optimal fertility diet
What is the optimal fertility diet?
What to eat more of: Farm fresh meat, beans, fish, leafy green vegetables, and seeds. Most of these foods are rich in iron, protein or both, which is especially important if you have endometriosis or bleed heavily. And some have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help mitigate cramps by encouraging healthy blood flow.
Steer clear of: Cold foods (if your periods are clotted and painful) and alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods, which can make bleeding even heavier.
Restore and maximize your body’s nutrients & energy supplies
Getting pregnant and growing a new human with your own energy reserves requires a surplus of energy and nutrients. Some of the key nutrients for energy & fertility are:
- Folic acid
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3 fats
Struggling with infertility can be a highly upsetting and personal experience. So our hope at Infinite Potential Center is that we can become a solid resource and foundation for your journey to fertility, and motherhood.
The first step is coming in and working with one of our practitioners on a diagnosis so that the rest of your holistic fertility treatment plan can begin. We can’t wait to meet you!